Wednesday 26 December 2012

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions by various authors

A journey may take hundreds of miles, or it may cover the distance between duty and desire.

Sixteen of today's hottest writers of paranormal tales weave stories on a common theme of journeying.

Whether they're writing about vampires, faeries, angels, or other magical beings, each author explores the strength and resilience of the human heart.


So my very awesome and Amazing friend, Danielle La Paglia, sent me this book as a surprise. And she even had it signed for me!


I wanted to read this as it has some of my favourite authors in it but with anthologies I'm always wary about buying a full book for a few authors. I thought with this review, I'd give my thoughts on all the stories.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Very sweet little romance story.
I've never read anything by Claudia Gray before and I really enjoyed my first story by her. I'd be interested in reading more from this world but it seems it's not part of a series or the beginning of a series so I may just pick up her Evernight series to see if I like it.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
Post zombie apocalypse story about 2 sisters surviving.
Another new author for me and I really enjoyed the world she made. Plus bonus: this one is part of a series so I get to read more.

Red Run by Kami Garcia
A haunted road makes a girl seek revenge for her dead brother.
I thought this was a new author but I didn't realise she wrote Beautiful Creatures which I have on my bookcase but haven't read yet. I must bump it up my TBR.

Things About Love by Jackson Pearce
A genie tries to find out about love from a human.
I've never read anything by this author either but I quite liked this short. I liked the idea of genies researching love 'cos they don't feel it.

Niederwald by Rachel Vincent
Based in the Soul Screamers series, this follows Sabine & Emma on a road trip.
I love this series and Vincent's writing so I really enjoyed this little short.

Merely Mortal by Melissa Marr
Based in the Wicked Lovely series, this follows Keenan & Donia on a holiday.
I'm still new to the Wicked Lovely series, having only read the first book so I feel like I've spoilered myself a little by reading this. But Donia was one of my favourite characters in the book so I still liked this.

Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong
Based in the Darkest Powers series, this has Tori finding out about Kit and putting her, and Chloe's, life in danger.
I love Kelley's writing and have recently re-read the whole Darkest Powers series so I was in the right mind frame for this story.

Let's Get This Undead Show On The Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
A vampire is the pulling factor for a boy band.
I didn't really enjoy this one, it was kinda cheesy. Thankfully only one of three that I didn't enjoy.

Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready
A ghost finds someone to contact his brother.
The layout of this was a bit weird, it was written like a poem but I enjoyed the story. Unfortunately, the layout really was a put off.

Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting
A young boy has dreams that end up proving to be truth.
Another new author and a story that I really enjoyed. Very descriptive and well written.

Leaving by Ally Condie
A young girl lives in a society under a bubble but has a secret to hide.
Similar world to the Matched series. I really enjoyed this and liked the characters, there's potential for more.

At The Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday
Young girl tries to prove to her family she can do the family job but runs into trouble.
Another one of the three that I didn't really enjoy. Again, it was because of the cheesiness - there was just too much of it.

IV League by Margaret Stohl
Two young "drinkers" try to get into college to get out of their dying town.
And here is the third story that I didn't enjoy. The story seemed good but it just didn't come across as well as it could have.

Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson
A gargoyle gets captured and gets her wings cut off, this means she'll lose her memory about being a gargoyle and all she knew.
I enjoyed this one, it was bittersweet but a nice wee read.

The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
One sister has impulses that she must follow, the other sister is just along for the ride - until it turns out she's part of the 'pulses.
I really enjoy Jennifer Lynn Barnes' writing and this seems like it could be a good start to a series.

Automatic by Rachel Caine
Based in the Morganville Vampires series, Michael almost loses it when he tries the new canned blood.
Another favourite author of mine so I loved this. Eve is one of my favourite characters as well so I like to see more of her.


So it seems this anthology has just made my Goodreads to-read list that little bit longer. I do like that I've found some new authors to read but I'm pretty sure my bank account doesn't. Oh well, the life of a bibliophile.


Book Depository: Enthralled
Amazon UK: Enthralled

No comments:

Post a Comment