Sunday 1 November 2015

Mind Games by Jana Oliver

Riley Blackthorne's life as a Demon Trapper is about to hit the wall. Knowing she will always be a target for those who want to exploit her "connections" with Hell, she's learning defensive magic. It seems the only way to ensure she and her fiancé, Denver Beck, have a future together. But not everyone in Atlanta, or at the Vatican, is pleased by this news. In fact, some want to ban the use of all magic, and Riley would make the perfect scapegoat.

As a new demonic enemy stalks her, Guild politics roil the city, throwing the trappers into chaos. To protect herself and the man she loves, Riley will be forced to choose: continue in her legendary father's footsteps, or carve her own path. A path that may well lead to her losing everything she so desperately seeks to protect.


Yay, Riley and the gang are all back! I was so excited to read that Oliver was releasing a 5th book, it really is one of my favourite series and I've recommended it to a few friends. The first in the series is Forsaken, 2nd is Forbidden, 3rd is Forgiven, 4th is Foretold, 4.5 is Grave Matters. Although Grave Matters is really only a wee novella, I included it in the list since the story is relevant to Riley's future and therefore this book.

This time we see Riley having to deal with a long distance relationship with Beck as well as training her own apprentice demon trappers and having to deal with prejudices from other trappers about her learning magic.

Riley's really matured since the start of this series, which I believe is less than a year in the timeline. She's been through a lot in her wee life and had to deal with some serious shit so it's easy to see why she's matured so much. This world just gets scarier as we learn more about hell and the demons it spawns - and I have a feeling we still have a lot more to learn. At least I'm hoping that's the case since I'm hoping Oliver writes more, the story definitely didn't seem finished. In fact, it did seem like more story threads have been opened in this.

I can't say anything bad about this series, I adore it. The world that's been created, the characters in it and the writing style are all fantastic and I'll continue to recommend this series to anyone that I think will enjoy it - which should be anyone that likes to read.

Jana Oliver self-published this so make sure to support her (and hopefully gain more books) by buying it from a legit seller - I've tried to list as many as I could find below.



Amazon UK: Mind Games
Amazon US: Mind Games
Amazon Canada: Mind Games
Amazon Australia: Mind Games
Nook UK: Mind Games
Kobo: Mind Games
iTunes US: Mind Games

No comments:

Post a Comment