Monday 18 October 2010

Blood & Ice by Robert Masello


When journalist Michael Wilde is commissioned to write a feature about a remote research station deep in the frozen beauty of Antarctica he is prepared for some extraordinary sights. But on a diving expedition in the polar sea he comes across something so extraordinary as to be almost unbelievable - a man and woman chained together, deep in the ice. The doomed lovers are brought to the surface but as the ice begins to thaw the scientists discover the unusual contents of the bottles buried beside the pair, and realise that they are all in terrible danger ...

The blurb to this book instantly caught my attention. It's a rare occurrence for me to pick up a book that I've never heard of by an author I've never heard of. But I'm glad I did, this book is a different twist on the whole vampire myth. It looks at it from a purely scientific point of view.

The story spans from 19th century London to modern day America and follows both the doomed lovers and Michael Wilde. There's a lot going on in this story so there's definitely enough for everyone. The author obviously done a lot of research to make his story believable, either that or he's an avid climber and polar explorer.

As much as I loved this book, it took me a while to read since I tend to do most of my reading at work and it's only certain authors or a really exciting book that keeps me reading once I get home. Unfortunately this story just didn't have that grip factor for me. It's definitely a great read though and I'd recommend it. I'm going to be on the lookout for more books by this author.

Rating:
4/5


Book Depository: Blood & Ice
Amazon UK: Blood and Ice

No comments:

Post a Comment