Saturday 2 October 2010

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler


Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society.
During her nightly swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half human.
Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures that are terrifying, beautiful and deadly - all of which perfectly describe her new 'friend' Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire.
It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick, spirits bag your groceries and whatever you do, never - ever - rub the genie's lamp.


I'd only heard of this book through the Falcata Times book review blog. It was the second book in the Jane True series that was reviewed there but the cover image instantly caught my eye and when I saw the first one in Forbidden Planet the other week, I snatched it up.

Never having read anything by the author before, I didn't know what to expect. Nicole Peeler is a fantastic author. Her characters are fabulous and really come to life on the page. I loved Jane almost instantly.

The storyline was well paced, not too slow but not too much happening all at once either. The humour was subtle as well. I'm not a fan of overdone humour or humour that's not actually funny, Ms Peeler done a good job.

I could easily see myself being friends with Jane, she's quirky and very likeable, as are her friends, Tracy and Grizzie. Ryu is HOT! I may have a crush on him *blush*

All in all, a very well written story that grabs you and holds you 'til the end. I'm glad I picked it up and can't wait until I can buy the next one.

5/5


Oh yeah, and the cover also gave me a tattoo idea so HUGE bonus there!


Book Depository: Tempest Rising
Amazon UK: Tempest Rising

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book but the second is even better. I have tweeted like mad about Nicole and her books, not sure how you missed them LOL.

    Pick up the second book, you won't regret it. I almost died laughing so hard. :P

    ReplyDelete