Tuesday 7 August 2012

Tab Bennett & The Inbetween by Jes Young

Dark power. Light magic. Sometimes a fairy tale life can be a real pain....

Yesterday Tab Bennett was a bank teller. Today she's at the center of a centuries old war between Light and Dark. Tomorrow – well let's just say she’ll be lucky if she lives to see it.

Engaged to her childhood sweetheart, employed at the local bank, and finally living on her own for the first time at twenty-four years-old, Tab Bennett has no interest in a fairy tale life. She's perfectly happy with the normal one she already has. But when her sister is murdered on a moon-dark night, revealing a world of power and magic she never dreamed existed, a fairy tale is exactly what her life becomes. Figures it would have to be the Grimm kind.

Just like that, the life she had planned is over. Instead of cashing cheques and handing out lollipops, Tab is unraveling clandestine assassination plots and learning to wield the magic that is her birthright. And as if fulfilling her destiny isn't hard enough, she'll also have to choose between Robbin, a man who's turned out to be a lot more complicated than the proverbial boy next door, and Alexander, the handsome prince whose smile leaves her weak-kneed and weak-willed.

Now, while Tab struggles to hold on to the human world she's always known and understand her place in the magical one she's just discovered, dangerous forces are gathering close to home. If she wants to live to see happily ever after, she'll have to figure out who she can trust, who wants her dead, and why. The answers will change everything she believes about herself, the people she loves, and the place she calls home.


Tab's sister Rivers is buried alive - Tab knows this 'cos she has a vision of her sister dying underground, the same vision she has had for all 3 of her sisters. At Rivers' funeral Tab meets Alexander (just after her fiancé breaks off the engagement) and practically dry humps her in front of everyone - obviously she's a bit confused by this occurrence. She finds out her family have been lying to her her entire life, she's an elf princess and her family aren't who she thinks they are, and the reason for the dry humpage is an enchantment since she and Alex are "engaged". It's all a bit much to take in but Tab does a good job at it and actually faces up to the fact that she's to be queen.

I absolutely loved this book, I wasn't sure what to expect with it - it's an author I've never heard of and not too much is given away in the description so I was unsure of what I was wading into. Happily, I was NOT disappointed.

I'm not sure what exactly I loved about it, I just know I didn't want to put it down. The world was very intriguing as were the characters, I found I liked Tab instantly but I wasn't sure whether to trust Alex until I changed my mind and realised I liked him but didn't like Robbin. Any regular readers will know how fickle I am with my literary likes and loves so this change of heart is no biggie.

A definite recommendation from me on this book - totally loved it and can't wait to read the next one.


Amazon UK: Tab Bennett and the Inbetween

No comments:

Post a Comment