Monday 9 December 2013

Why Vet Nursing is not a "Just for the Money" job

A lot of the time, I hear that Vets are all money grabbers. I've had people say to me at the desk that they can't believe how much A or B costs and people thinking I'm in my job for money. Because everyone knows how much Vet Nurses get paid, right? Do you know? Unless you're a Vet Nurse, no you don't.
I'd like to give you all a taster of what Vet Nursing is like as a job and you'll see why it's not a job you get into for the money.

My evening began with evening consults at 5pm, just after 5 a distraught owner ran in with her young family pet in her arms – it had just been in a Road Traffic Accident. This much loved family pet had sustained a fatal trauma that would be unfixable – even if it was fixable, the pet would likely be paralysed in the hind limbs. Our only option, and the owners hardest decision, was to put the animal to sleep ….. at 6 months of age.
It was heart breaking, it was horrible and it was the most upsetting euthanasia I've done in my career.

After that exceptionally sad case was over I, and the Vet, had to continue with evening consults. I had to pretend everything was fine and be cheery with clients, while feeling like all I wanted to do was sit and cry.

There are plenty of jobs out there that pay the same, or more than, I get at the moment. They don't have as much stress attached. They're mostly guaranteed to finish at the right time. And you don't have to go through the heartbreak of euthanasing people's family pets. This isn't a job I, or any other Vet or Vet Nurse, got into for the money. This is a job you get into for the love of animals and helping animals every day.

There are plenty of jobs where I wouldn't come home with a heavy heart. And I'll admit that I came home and cried about that case tonight – how many other jobs cause that to happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment