Saturday 9 March 2013

Bloodspell by Amalie Howard


The spell was simple...

Cruentus Protectum (Defend the Blood)

But what do you do if your blood is your enemy?

Victoria Warrick has always known she was different. An outcast at school, she is no stranger to adversity. But when she receives an old journal for her seventeenth birthday, nothing prepares her for the dark secrets it holds - much less one that reveals she's a witch with unimaginable power.

What's more, when she meets the dazzling but enigmatic Christian Devereux, she has no idea how much her life is about to change. Enemies will hunt her. Friends will turn on her. The terrible curse that makes her blood run black will stop at nothing to control her. And Christian has a sinister secret of his own...

Without knowing whom to trust, can Victoria survive her blood's deadly desires? Or will she lose everything, including herself?


Victoria (Tori) does something unbelievable when confronted by a school bully, the event forces her to change schools where she meets Christian and there's (ugh) insta-love! She's a witch, he's a vampire and they're forbidden to be affiliated with one another - which makes the insta-love even worse for them. They have to fight their feelings for one another while Tori also fight her power and what it could mean to let it control her. Oh yeah, and there's also Christian's brother who is a bit of a(n obnoxious) douche and he wants to control Tori's power.

Insta-love in YAs? Hate it, so overused - it's a trope that I would love to see disappear, but it appears to continue to be popular.

Annoying insta-love aside, this book was decent - there were aspects I both liked and disliked. I liked the fact that Tori's magic was blood-based, I liked that it didn't instantly come naturally to her, I liked her familiar. I disliked Christian's cockiness, I disliked the overly done hatred between Christian & Lucian, I disliked the vampire broodiness, I disliked Gabe's stalkerness & obsessiveness. So looking at that list, I seem to like the witch part of the story and dislike the vampire part.

I'm not going to say this was a great book but it was decent and I'll probably give the next book a try before I make a decision about the series.


Book Depository: Bloodspell
Amazon UK: Bloodspell

No comments:

Post a Comment